- CERAMIC FIRESTORM II: Longest lasting grain. Our newest ceramic grain offers improved self-sharpening for longer life and faster cut. Grinding aid makes it excellent for high heat applications such as stainless steel, highly alloyed or hardened steels. Also works great on carbon steel.
- CERAMIC FIRESTORM “Original”: Long lasting, self sharpening grain. Grinding aid makes it excellent for high heat applications such as stainless steel, highly alloyed or hardened steels. Also works great on carbon steel.
- Zirc Plus: Self-sharpening grain. Works best with heavy pressure. Grinding aid makes it excellent for high heat applications such as stainless steel, highly alloyed or hardened steels. Also works great on carbon steel & aluminum.
- AO Extreme: Proprietary blend of AO & Ceramic grain. Discs have an extra durable 2-ply red backing which reduces edge wear & snagging.
- AO Premium: AO cloth is laminated to a blue cloth backing which improves durability & reduces edge wear. AO is a versatile grain and is a good starting specification when initial price is the primary purchasing consideration.
The most common grains for a quick change disc are aluminum oxide, zirconia alumina, and ceramic. While all of these grain types can technically be used on any metal type, there are specific qualities inherent to each that make them better suited for specific types of applications.
Aluminum oxide (AO) is a general-purpose grain that should be used on mild steel, aluminum, and non-ferrous materials. Aluminum Oxide is the oldest, most tried and true grain out of the bunch. Its versatility allows it to work on all metals, however, it is best used for mild steel as harder metals can cause it to wear down quickly. We offer two types:
- AO Premium is our classic disc option, reinforced with a BLUE cloth backing meant to improve general stability and durability.
- AO Extreme offers a different RED backing meant to increase rigidity and durability to an even greater degree. It also reduces edge wear and snagging.
Zirconia provides an upgrade in performance over aluminum oxide on mild or stainless steel. Zirconia offers re-sharpening capabilities as grains wear down, a notable improvement from Aluminum Oxide. This is our best middle-of-the-road option, providing improved capabilities compared to aluminum oxide but still offering a cost-effective price point.
Ceramic is our maximum performance material, operating best on mild or stainless steel, titanium and inconel. Ceramic can be especially useful in aerospace applications as it holds up to the hardness of the metal and does not wear down as quickly as other grain types might. Ceramic takes the re-sharpening function of Zirconia and improves it to an even greater degree, offering not only increased resilience to the hardness of metals but also high heat resistance.
Our PREMIUM Backing Pads provide much-needed support for all grain types in order to improve performance. These pads provide ventilation to keep the abrasive cool as well as offer support to extend the life of the disc. Our TRADITIONAL RUBBER Backing Pads offer more flexibility when needed. Check out our selection of backing pads here.