How To Create a No.4 Stainless Steel Finish
Recommended steps for creating or blending a #4 finish on stainless steel.
Step #1 LEVELING THE WELD
- Preferred’s Firestorm Fiber Sanding Disc – 60 grit (7 x 7/8″ arbor hole 60 Grit #37529*) use with 7″ medium back-up pad #50410.
* Made with our Firestorm ceramic grain for fast stock removal and long life. Includes a grinding aid for cooler running temperatures and less loading. Ultra-fast stock removal and longest life.
Tip: Start with 60 grit or finer & use 7″ grinder if possible. (The grind lines from 7″ diameter discs are easier to blend than small radius grind lines left by 4-1/2 or 5″ diameter discs.) Align the grind line scratches with the grain line direction of the original stock. (Perpendicular scratches are more difficult to blend while parallel scratches are easier to blend.)
Step #2 SETTING THE GRAIN – to remove circular grind lines from step #1
- Preferred’s Firestorm abrasive sanding belt 120 grit (3-1/2 x 15-1/2″ 120
grit #70696-C3*) Note: mount on inflatable rubber sanding drum. Available from other sources (we recommend Dynabrade 5″ dia. x 3-1/2″ wide)
*Made with our original Firestorm ceramic grain for fast cut and long life.
Includes a grinding aid for cooler running temperatures and less loading.
Tip: Stay as close as possible to the weld area to minimize the time spent on final blending.
Step #3 FINAL FINISHING
- Preferred’s Surface Conditioning Belt (A-Med) (3-1/2 x 15-1/2″ A-Med #53789)
Note: mount on inflatable rubber sanding drum. Available from other sources (we recommend Dynabrade 5″ dia. x 3-1/2″ wide)
Step #4 FINAL BLENDING / TOUCH-UP
- Preferred’s Black Flex-N-Finish Hand Pad 6 x 9 (#07446)
Tip: Use these flexible hand pads with a sanding block for final blending and touch-up.